ECD Short-Term Consultant
Data e publikimit
Data e perfundimit
Lloji i orarit
Orar të plotë
Terms of Reference for Short-Term Consultant Early Childhood Development (Health sector focus)
Improving the quality of early childhood development (ECD) is at the center of the World Bank’s development agenda. In both low- and middle-income countries, the Bank is increasingly supporting—through operational work, policy advice, and analytical activities—efforts to improve ECD around the world. This work is expanding in direct response to the interest expressed by government partners. Based on the convincing findings of the large impacts and cost-effectiveness of investments in ECD, policy makers around the world, together with the international community, now face the challenge of how to devise effective ECD approaches to ensure that all children have the opportunity to reach their full potential. This not only requires strong technical guidance across education, health and social protection but a sense of how these sectors, and others, can work together to facilitate strong outcomes for children.
SABER ECD Tool
The World Bank has launched a program called Systems Approach for Better Education Results (SABER)—to develop a tool to characterize education systems, policies, and programs across countries. SABER- Early Childhood Development is one of several topics within SABER, including Teachers, Assessments, and School Autonomy and Accountability. SABER collects, synthesizes and disseminates comprehensive information on these areas across countries. This information enables policy makers, World Bank staff and development partners to learn from how other countries address the same policy challenges related to improving education outcomes. We are currently working on a SABER ECD for Kosovo and are seeking a consultant who can guide and advise on a strong approach to the health-related aspects, being cognizant of the role that the health sector can play and its links and referral points to education and social protection services.
We will also be conducting a broader analysis of key aspects of the current approach to service delivery of ECD within Kosovo, with a view to identifying key gaps and opportunities to strengthen the system. Therefore, we are seeking support in conducting informational interviews with development partners, ministry officials and providers of services in health, social protection and education.
- liaise with Government and non-government officials to facilitate active country participation and robust data collection and conceptualization of key, cross-sectoral ECD issues;
- keep clear records of interviews and contact details for all informants;
- engage in regular dialogue communication with the Bank’s team to ensure that the data collection process is consistent with the Bank’s guidelines and protocols;
- support workshops with key informants to verify data and information for the SABER ECD and the situational analysis;
- participate in the generation of country policy options, writing of the country report, and review prepared deliverables to ensure that final products accurately reflect the data collected.
The consultant will be asked to schedule, prepare and support meetings with ministries and development partners: Ministry of Health, Ministry of Education, Science, Technology and Innovation (MESTI), Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare, bilateral donors, multilateral agencies, civil society, academic institutions.
Qualifications and Abilities
A graduate degree with a focus on early childhood development and/or related field with at least five years of relevant professional experience. More experienced colleagues are encouraged to apply and the role can be adapted to suit skillsets and experience. Relevant attributes include:
- MPH or advanced degree in public health, health economics, health policy and/or a relevant field
- Network of contacts in the field of ECD in Kosovo
- Strong relationships with Government and non-government representatives and focal points in Kosovo
- Knowledge of Government ministries and programming and procedures of international organizations operating in Kosovo
- Ability to work in diverse teams and coordinate flexibly
- Ability to work remotely with minimal supervision and exercise judgment in interactions with local stakeholders
- Ability to collect valid data and to ask follow-up questions to probe the validity of responses
- Knowledge of existing ECD programs and policies in Kosovo
- Ability to read and write English strongly preferred
The STC contract is for up to 20 days of work up until May 2021. This fee is the only remuneration the consultant will receive and covers all expenses to undertake the assignment (including- but not limited to- phone calls, printing and local travel). The consultant will not be eligible to submit for reimbursement of any expenses accrued in undertaking the assignment.
Proprietary Rights. All documentation prepared by the consultant to be hired under this Terms of Reference in the course of the proposed assignment shall be confidential and shall become and remain the absolute property of the World Bank. The consultant shall deliver all such documentation to the World Bank not later than upon termination or expiration of the contract to be prepared for the proposed assignment.
- Start Date: Jul 20, 2020 Duration: 20 Day(s)
- Express Interest By: Jul 10, 2020 ST
- Grade: STC2
- Language Skills: English
- Assignment Location: Kosovo
Please send your expression of interest and CV via email to Yoshini Naomi Rupasinghe ([email protected]).